Thursday, December 17, 2009

How to Make Chess Videos

Welcome! For a couple of months now, I have been posting free chess videos on YouTube. It has been a rewarding process and I am thankful that it has provided plenty of traffic to this website. Many people have asked me about how to make chess videos, so today I want to go through a short tutorial about it. Of course, these techniques can be applied in the making of videos that aren't to do with chess.

Screen-recording software

The most convenient way to record a chess video is obviously not to use a video recorder but to "record" your screen. It is not complicated at all. When researching screen recording software in preparation for my YouTube videos, I came across the open-source freeware screen recorder CamStudio. I have used this free software for months now without a single hitch. The interface is pretty self-explanatory. You'll want to record a particular region of your screen so go to Region --> Region (this option sounds a little strange, but it's just how the interface is). Next, if you want to accompany it with audio (through a microphone), go to Options --> Record audio from microphone. It is very easy from here - just hit the red record button to start recording and the blue stop button to stop recording (after which you are prompted to name and save your file). There is even the added option of turning your video into a .swf (flash) file for your website...

Click here for the full article "How to Make Chess Videos".

1 comment:

  1. Camstudio is a nice tool.
    As it for me, I use this screen recorder, which also supports recording video for YouTube use.

    ReplyDelete